Thursday, April 05, 2007

Yellow Coconut Rice (Nasi Kuning)


A friend of mine asked me to put some pictures. Well, here is one of them. It's my first lunch in the Hague. It was yellow coconut rice with Indonesian fried chicken, steamed broccoli and fresh cucumber. I didn't bring my rice cooker at that time, so I just cooked it by a cooking technic which we call it "liwet". The same technic more or less is applied in making a plao, a vegetarian rice from Pakistan. My crazy flatmates, Zaka, taught me. Hope you enjoy this yummy yellow rice.



Ingredients:
1 cup of rice
2 cup of water (well, the amount of water depends on what kind of rice that you use)

half to 1 tea spoon of kunyit powder (I forget the english name for kunyit. I'll find it in the dictionary later :P)
1 lemon grass, crushed it.
1 indian bay leaf (daun salam)

20-30 ml of coconut milk
2-3 small red onions or half onion. Chopped it.
half tea spoon of salt

How to Cook:
1. Put some water to rice until it gets wet a little bit. Put half tea spoon of kunyit powder, mix it until the rice turns a little bit yellow. Add some more if you think it's not yellow enough :-) but not too much, otherwise the taste will be a little bit bitter.
2. Put everything, crushed lemon grass, chopped onion, indian bay leaf, water, coconut milk and half tea spoon of salt.
3. Put it on the stove. Medium heat. When the water is dried, turn to low heat, close the pan and leave it for 15-30 minutes. Or you can use rice cooker, that's easier! :-)

No comments: